Monday, October 24, 2005

My Intuition Tells Me...

I won't be able to take a pregnancy test until a week from today, but my gut instinct is telling me that I'm not pregnant.

According to a number of resources I've read in the last day or two:

Most women ovulate 12-48 hours after the LH surge is detected, usually 36 hours after the LH surge.

I first detected my LH surge at 6am on Sunday. My LH surge showed up again on Monday at 6am. And then we inseminated at 9pm on Monday. So on the one hand, this timing could have been good, because if the LH surge was detected on Sunday at 6am, I probably didn't ovulate until Wednesday, right? That would mean the sperm would only have to survive for 2 days, which is pretty minimal (they usually survive 2-5 days in a woman's body).

That said, I also read that you should inseminate within 6 hours of the LH surge, because that is when the os is open and when the vaginal secretions are most conducive to sperm survival. I did take my Guiafensen (sp?) cough syrup to help with the secretions, so I suppose it's still possible.

Perfect timing is apparently:

-one or two days before the LH surge or the day your basal body temperature dips
-the day of the LH surge
-two days after the LH surge
-AND 3 days after the LH surge in case you ovulate late

THAT said. We only tried once this month - the day after the LH surge. So the odds are pretty minimal.

Regardless, I just don't feel pregnant. I will still plan to run the pregnancy test next Monday if I don't get my period before then.

Despite not feeling pregnant, I am still behaving as if I am pregnant. That's an odd way to function, but seems the healthiest. For instance, in yoga class, there were things the instructor didn't want me to do (positions which required a twisting position).

At the gym, instead of doing my cardiac work-out, I tempered it down to a fat-burning work-out to keep my heart rate at or below 140 bpm. And I just learned today that I'm suppose to drink 2 glasses of water before starting to work out to prevent dehydration, which is particularly unhealthy during pregnancy.

It seems surreal or odd at best to be doing things differently on the off-chance that I've been lucky enough to get pregnant this quickly.

5 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger eryn said...

Here is how I understand the LH surge and timing insemination:
You should take the OPK test twice a day until you surge(once you've surged stop testing- only the first positive matters, you can get a positive for several days). The tests varry on how long after ovualtion *may* happen (but you can find this out from the info in your test). Through my midwife, I've learned that I ovulate on the later side (close to 48 hours after the surge). She has instructed us to inseminate 36 and 48 hours after my surge. (We are doing 2 inseminations per cycle.) I would not recommed inseminating before the surge and never in the first 24 hours following the surge. Hope this helps.

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is your real name Elle Dee because thats my name email me i think thats so cool. from Elle x at blue_barbie_dolly@hotmail.co.uk thanks hope to here from you soon

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Jennynyc said...

I guess you'll be doing a pattern of adjusting your life as if pregnant until you know you are and then you'll be doing it all the time. It's good practice!

 
At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Tara said...

I hope you are, but if not, maybe next month!

For what it's worth, despite the bevvy of symptoms you read about online, it's very rare to "feel pregnant" until after you know you in fact *are*. Both times I've been pregnant, I found out within a few days of my pd, and still didn't feel symptoms until weeks later.

The first thing my friend who was having a hard time getting pg said when she was is "where are all the symptoms I've been reading about for years??!"

That's where the home pregnancy test people make their money, I think - people like me who say "I don't FEEL pregnant" so we take a test (or two) every day until we start puking! lol.

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger DeadBug said...

Your timing is perfect. REs almost always inseminate the day after the LH surge for women whose ovulation is not induced medically. It's ideal. Hoping that your first IUI does the trick!

--Bugs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home